Thursday, June 5, 2014

Learning SUP

I have only paddled once before. I really enjoyed it, so Brennan and I have been doing some research so that I can purchase a board in the coming days. At PEAR we have a great coach Noelle who is a SUP master, so I enlisted the best. She offered for me to come meet her and Trevor for a lesson and to try out some different boards in Newport/CDM. 

They have a great company if you are interested in learning and taking some classes: http://boardrideradventures.com/
On the race board
It ended up being a super windy evening! Thus making for a bit of trouble in learning. I started on a race design board- which is harder to balance and lighter. Noelle wanted me to start with the hardest board and see how it went. I was learning a lot and doing really well. The wind was starting to pick up a bit. I ended up getting a little worried near the rocks, then the wind and some boats. Well I ended up taking a trip into the ocean. I tried to recover my balance, by walking backwards. When the board is only 12'6 there is not a lot of space to go backwards. Surprisingly the water was not as cold as I expected. Noelle was great and did not laugh at me to hard, that I could tell. 


The paddle back was hard- since it was directly into the wind. I can see why people get a good workout in. My legs were a bit sore-probably from trying to balance the whole time. Then my lower back just from learning to paddle. The right side of my body is way more sore, guess I worked a bit harder paddling that side.  Noelle said that I had great balance especially with how windy it was, that I could even control the race board was impressive for only my second time. 



When I changed boards it was way easier. This board is designed for fitness classes and more of leisure. It was much wider and actually went straight. Where the race board is designed to move fast through the water like a boat, plus it was much lighter. On the other board I was able to just go straight without issue.
Changed boards- was told this is near the perfect paddle stroke!
All in all it was a ton of fun. Falling in hurt my ego a bit- but Noelle was such a great teacher. I was starting to master the correct form near the end of the lesson. I look forward to finding a board that I like and getting more into the sport.

Thanks again to Noelle and Trevor for teaching me. If you are visiting, live in the area please take a few minutes to check out there company. Get on the water today! http://boardrideradventures.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment