Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Senior Season of Water Polo for KK


Last home game as a Wildcat
I have to start this blog off by saying I wish I could have seen more of KK’s games. Being a part of the real world kind of sucks (at times). Living 120 miles away does not help my cause either. What it does make me realize is how amazing my parents are. The fact that they rarely missed a game or a swim meet. How they juggled it with work I have no idea. I only hope I can be half as amazing when I am a parent.

Riverside Tourny
Well back to KK. I wish I could have seen more games this year. But looking back I am pretty proud of the number I did see. I made it to a day at the tournament in Riverside, a day at the tournament in San Diego, was present for Senior day and the semifinal game of CIF. Maybe another tournament or two.
Earlier in the season I asked KK if I could make it to one league game which game it would be. I assumed she would be choosing between the rivalry game against RHS (where Brooke & I went to school) or senior day. She decided on Senior Day as the one league game I would see. Sadly it was against a very very bad team in the league- in all honesty I do not even remember who they played.  But senior day is always fun- it is the last time you will ever play in your home pool. 
In order to be available for Senior day I took that Tuesday off work- I figured since I am going up to Redlands might as well make the most of it and boy did I. Mom also took the day off work. I would get grandpa in San Diego at 8:00 am and we would start the day. Once in Redlands mom and I signed a contract for the preferred hotel for my wedding, went to the church and turned in a bunch of paper work, meet with a photographer, looked at a place or two for a rehearsal dinner. Then after KK’s game we would meet with the wedding coordinator and event planner both of which were amazing.  We managed to plan out basically the entire reception from the dance floor location to the table wear. Very productive day.
The most important part of the whole day was being at KK’s game. It was weird to think that my little sister was a senior. Her school held senior day much like we did. I guess she filled out a questionnaire so that her coach had a place to start with talking about her. While he is talking my parents gave KK  some flowers. Her team signed a polo ball for her that is in a nice case. I was impressed what a great gift! He did a great job talking about what KK had meant to the program, some of the awards she had received, the school records, a few of his lasting memories, and then a few things from her sheet. Like the most embarrassing moment.  That is when she was trying to get everyone going during Brooke & I CIF final game- she was leading a cheer and spelled Redlands wrong. To give her some credit she was really little at that time. I don’t think she was older than 8. During the time her coach was talking about her grandpa got dragged up & then so did I. My attempt to say I was the camera woman did not work to well. So Mom, Dad, Grandpa & I all stood with KK!

SD Touny
I was honored to be a part of her senior day presentation. Oddly enough her coach was actually present when I was honored at my own senior day. The Vessey’s will no longer be playing water polo in Redlands. I feel that we have left a lasting mark on both high schools and there programs.  Well Brooke and KK probably more than me. But their names will stay up on the record board for some time. The game itself was nothing to write home about as the other team was not very good. It is one of those teams that you watch and just feel bad for. KK had a few goals some assists. She does it all!                                                                   
 
Ater league ends you head into the CIF Playoffs.  This is the stressful time cause it is win or go home. I was unable to make it to KK’s 1st round or 2nd round games. But the semifinal I was not going to miss. I managed to get out of work early. Get my brother; pick up my grandpa and hall butt the 120 miles through orange county traffic. I am sure I aged 10 years with my driving and freaking out about getting to the school on time. But we parked and the game had just begun. Very quickly the other team got out a head. The bleeding did not stop right away. The other team always knew ere KK was. Many times having her double teamed. I think finally in the 3rd quarter we got on the board. We managed to score a few more times.  KK played a great game defensively and offensively. It reminded me much of Brooke in her CIF finals game.  Just only so much she could do and hard to beat two defenders every play.
CIF Semi Final Game
After the game she did not seem super upset- but you could tell she realized it was over. Her high school polo days were behind her. As Sean went to give her a hug the teams other coach stopped her. From what I was told later he basically told her she was the best player in the division.  That there game plan revolved around stopping her! That she has had a remarkable high school career. Wished her the best of luck in college. If there is a way to have it end with a loss- you at least want a compliment. That coach had some class. That team would go on two days later to win the title- beating the other team by a few goals. It was never even a game!
Riverside Tourny
I might not have seen every game but I saw a good amount of games. I saw the big stuff. I am so proud of you KK. I look forward to watching the next four years. And I am willing to part with my red and black once in a while for LMU Lions apparel! Plus by then I will be even better with my camera and take hundreds of more pictures of you!
 
Click on these links to see all the different photo albums:

No comments:

Post a Comment