Friday, March 1, 2013

Mel's Senior Day

If you don't know already Melanie Garibaldi is like a sister. She is an honorary Vessey.  A little back story for you.

Conference 2011
My first year out of college I was working as a volunteer coach at San Diego State. The year prior when I was a senior we had recruited this amazing distance swimmer out of Australia. Since my background from swimming was in the distance events that was the group I inherited to coach. My group consisted on three girls and two that would join every once in a while. Mel and another freshman Meghan were always with me. When you see the same girls everyday for multiple hours at a time. You create a relationship. I really hit it off with these girls. They respected me and they knew I always had there back as a coach and wanted nothing more than to watch them succeed. This meant at the pool and in the classroom. I am sure Meghan loved the time I spent with her in study hall her freshman year. At this time Brooke was still competing for San Diego State and was a senior on the team. She also seemed to hit it off with Mel!
Conference Champions in 2010-2011

It seems like ancient history now but Mel's freshman year it was nearing Thanksgiving break and she had no place to spend the (weird American) holiday. So I spoke with the head coach and asked if it would be ok if she came home with Brooke and I. He of course just thought it was a great gesture. That was the beginning of the end :) Mel has spent every Thanksgiving & Christmas with the Vessey's since. She is part of the family.

Needless to say when Senior Day approached it was a big deal. I took a half day from work and headed to the Aquaplex. I was not going to miss her last meet. It was also a bitter sweet day to see the girls I recruited, coached in there first years at SDSU, be almost finished.  I could not believe how fast the time has flown by. Plus I felt that they appreciated my sacrifices and being there one last time for them! This senior day was special also because it was the highest ranked class SDSU had ever had (I was a small part of that).

All the Seniors Class of 2013
The senior meet is nothing crazy like some sports. It just consists of the girls being introduced to everyone. They talk about each girl- they include things like there bio, major, accomplishments, and career highlights. Mel's list was extremely long- All Conference, MW Finalist, Scholar Athlete, School Record Holder. I mean the list went on & on! Once they are announced they go through a tunnel of all the other girls on the team to be greeted by the coaching staff. Brooke, Sean & I were all present for the big event. 
 
After that the meet goes as scheduled. Sadly this was a meet over Christmas break while the other school Tulane was on a training trip. Oddly enough I interviewed at Tulane only about a year earlier for the swimming job. That would have been weird.  Since it was during a training trip it was a shortened meet- also meaning Mel would not swim her normal events of the 1000 and 500 Free.
We watched Mel swim odd events.  It was her last every meet at the Aquaplex! When the meet ended I was able to chat more with Mel. She found it just as weird that it was over! Like always she thanked us for being there and supporting her! Plus what girl does not love flowers and we gave her a few different sets of flowers!

It was a weird day. I was there for her first home meet and I was there for the last! Also strange was I coached Mel her Freshman and Sophomore year while Brooke coached her this last season. Sorry Mel you always had a Vessey coaching you!
 
Proud Siblings!!
I am very fortunate to have the opportunity to be part of her Aztec career. Congratulations Melanie on an amazing career! It was a true honor to coach you. That you still take advice from me even though I don't coach anymore. You are truly one of my best friends and I enjoy all the time I get to spend with you.  More importantly I view you as my sister (who is also stuck as a bridesmaid)!

The three girls I coached- thanks to them I looked like I knew what I was doing (L-R: Mel, Meghan & Kelly)

To see the press release of the last senior meet: http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/w-swim/recaps/010713aaa.html

To watch an interview of Mel from earlier in the season: Click Here

View a whole photo album of Mel Racing on Senior Day: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/media/set/?set=a.10100595980008327.2485577.24605776&type=3


No comments:

Post a Comment