Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My First Olympic Distance Triathlon

Mark another crazy race off my list.  I completed my first Olympic distance triathlon.  I am sure some day I will look back and laugh because an Olympic is so short.  But everyone has to start somewhere. 

An Olympic Distance is: 
Swim- 1,500 meters (.93 mile)
Bike- 24 miles
Run- 6.2 miles 

I have to thank Brennan!!!  First because over the summer he surprised me by buying me a road bike.  And for taking the time to teach me how to ride!! I would still be riding around in the apartment parking lot!! Most likely with many more skinned knee's.  I also want to thank Brennan for convincing me to sign up for this race and supporting me all the way though it!!!  At the end of my post you can even see a video Brennan made from everything he filmed.

So as Brennan told me about two weeks ago I did panic training.  I laughed and then had to admit he was totally right.  I was not worried about the swim or bike portion of the race.  Since moving back to San Diego I have been swimming 2 days a week for about an hour and a half.  Usually getting in about  2+ miles.  Plus I figured I have been swimming my whole life and my bad swim would be many people's best.  I was worried about the bike, but not nearly as much as the run.  For starters over the course of the summer I logged a good amount of miles on the bike.  Especially Saturday's which is when Brennan and I go on our long ride.  This ride is usually somewhere between 40/50 miles up huge hills.  So when it came to panic training it was totally with running.  I ran 4 times in one week.  I started my week of training by going out and running 5 straight miles.  Basically to just convince myself that I could  finish the run portion of the race.  I also ran a few other days about 4 miles a piece.  So Brennan was totally right I did panic training.  But it eased my mind.  However next time I plan to set a training plan and stick to it!! 

So it was finally the weekend.  My nerves were really starting to get going. On Saturday we had to drive out to Chula Vista and check me in.  This triathlon was much different in that it was not an out and back course.  Meaning that the start and finish was not in the same place.  So the swim would be at the bay in imperial beach in "transition 1" I would have to get out of my wetsuit and into my biking gear.  Then would head off onto the course for my 24 mile ride.  The ride would end in transition 2 where I would get out of my bike gear and into my run gear.  Then head out for a 6+ mile loop and finish back near where I transitioned from my bike to running. So this course sucked in terms that Brennan did not get to see me race much at all.  It also made checking in much more difficult.

  So when checking in I received three different bags with my number on it.  I had to give them all my running stuff so they could make sure that it was at "Transition 2."  In that bag I had my running shoes, hat and my race bib.  After checking in and dropping off my transition 2 bag.  We headed down to the water, where the start and "Transition 1" was going to take place in imperial beach.  Once down there I got my bike all set up in the rack.

After checking in and getting my run bag dropped off and my bike set up we headed home.  Once home we again went through all my stuff again that I would be taking with us.  Making sure I had all my nutrition, water and the gear that I would need.  We also laid out all our clothes to wear for the next day.  Since I had just ordered my first wetsuit and had yet to even try it on.  So when we got home I got suited up.  Brennan went with me to the apartment pool and like an a complete dork I went swimming around in the pool to test it out!  After my quick swim, we then had a nice relaxed evening.  Eat an early dinner and were in bed by 8:15.

Sunday would come very early.  The alarm went off by 4:45 and we were moving.  I got my race clothes on and then some sweats.  Went and grabbed my multiple bags and breakfast and we were headed to the race.  In the car and driving by 5:10.  We arrived in Chula Vista at the race venue around 5:45.  My wave was supposed to go off at 7:06.  So once we arrived, I headed into the transition 1 area where I set up my helmet, sunglasses, shoes, and my watch.  I also made sure I had my wet bag ready.  Then I headed out to hangout with Brennan.  I was trying not to get nervous.  About 40 minutes before my wave and 4 trips to the bathroom later.  I head in and got my number written on me.  Then headed back to Brennan to get my sunscreen on and start getting into my wetsuit.

This is me not sure I am ready for this...

Once in my wetsuit we headed over to the start line.  At this point I was really starting to get nervous! Brennan like always calmed my nerves. I said goodbye and headed over.  I made my way to the very front of my wave.  I started a conversation with a nice woman next to me.  Who wished me good luck. I did the same to her and then I thought what the heck am I doing.  Can I finish this, will I embarrassed  Brennan if I am not out of the water first.  Then the announcer was in the countdown 10, 9, 8 and then the Buzzer sounded and we were off.


I was into the water quick.  And surprisingly it was not even cold.  It very quickly became a race between me and another woman.  I held with her till about half way and then she just started to pull away.  I was very tight swimming and was trying to stretch my shoulders out.  Some of that may have been the issue of being in a wetsuit.  Since I have never raced in a wetsuit.  I also quickly learned maybe I should have stretched or done a bit of warm up swimming prior to the race. However I did manage to pass a ton of men who went out in the waves before me.  I was the second woman out of the water.  It felt good to be racing again and to know that I was doing so well.  As I got out of the water and was running up the beach toward the transition area I was getting out of my wetsuit.

Here I come!!
Getting out of that wetsuit


 Once in "Transition 1" I found my bike and got fully out of my wetsuit.  There was a great volunteer who took my wetsuit, goggles and cap and put it into my "wet transition" bag so I did not have to worry about it.  That bag would then be put into a truck and taken to the finish line so that I could get it after the race.  I was very slow in transition but it was my first race and I thought that an extra minute was not going to make or break me.  In transition I tried to get dried off as much as possible, get my helmet on, sunglasses and chugged a whole bottle of water. Then I was off!!!

 Out of transition


 Trying to get to the mount line


Getting on the bike

Once onto the bike I realized that I was still dripping wet.  Not cool :/.  It was still overcast so that was nice, I did not get over heated biking.  Since I had such a great swim there was not many people on the bike course yet.  I had some goals in what I was looking to do on the bike.  So I just went to hammering away and trying to remember everything Brennan had taught me.  So I was a bit stiff at first but got going and was feeling pretty good.  I headed away from the ocean and toward the hills.  About mile 6 I hit a huge pump and lost a purchased water bottle.  This very nice motor cycle cop went and picked it up and raced toward me so that I would have it.  Being new to biking we were unable to get the hand off.  I then had to inform him I have only been biking about 3 months so he could keep the unopened water and I thanked him for his work.  The bike route passed by Cricket wireless amphitheater where I have seen multiple concerts through the years.  A funny little liquor store that we stopped at before the last Rascal Flatts concert that I went to with my favorite people (Brooke, Nik, Brennan & Me).  Then it started to get hilly.  I did a ton of climbing.  It felt good to see some very good cyclists not pass me till late into the bike course.  Also to have some of them laugh and joke if the hills ever ended.  Made me feel better that I was not the only one thinking that.  I just kept after it and stuck to my goal.  I knew that I was a head of my goal which felt good.  I was finally headed into the last mile and looking forward to hearing Brennan cheering for me.  There he was!! Made the pain disappear.. At least for a little bit!

I survived it... 24 miles later I showed up!!

 Getting off..


Go Go Go...

Handed off the bike and off to get my running stuff


So once off the bike as I ran into the transition area people were yelling all kinds of things.  Yelling about giving my bike to someone, then yelling my number. Which I did not understand why.  So I figured out who to hand my bike off to then ran forward where another volunteer handed my my running bag. I sat on a chair for all of 10 second to get my cleats off get my running shoes on.  Hand them my helmet clipped my race bib on and I was off again.  The nice volunteer again put my helmet, and cleats into my bike gear transition 2 bag and set it with my bike for when I was finished.  As I was running out of transition I was able to get my hat on and then get some water.  I was about a quarter mile out and realized that I did not tie one of my shoes. So I quickly stopped and fixed it and started pounding away at the run.  I just kept thinking that every step I was closer to the finish line.  At this point the sun had come out and it was starting to get warm.  The run path ran up above Otay Lake and then into the Olympic Training center.  That was probably the coolest thing.   I have been to the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs more than once but never to the one in Chula Vista.  So as I was hurting you could think of all the amazing athletes that had bleed, sweat and cried at the facilities there.  Where dreams were started.  We even ran right by the Olympic torch that was lite.  That helped me to speed up at least for a while.  Soon I was rounding the corner and coming down toward the finish.  It was such a great feeling to know that I was about to finish my first Olympic Distance in under my goal time!!!  Plus before the swim they said the run was a bit long. So it was about 6.5 miles!!

 I see the finish line!!



I am a finisher!!!

I finished and it was amazing.  I mean like any race and competition it had its dark moments.  But you come out of them.  It was overall hard but I seriously enjoyed it.  Having three different disciplines while racing was challenging and exciting.  I also realized that if I did more training it would become much easier and I could really better my overall time.  So during the winter I will start building a better base and then next summer hopefully race a few times.  I am not sure I want to move up in the distances to a half ironman or even an ironman.  Might just leave that up to Brennan for the time being and stay as his supportive fiance.

Here are my results:
*I won my age group!!! Woohoo
*15th overall Woman
 *110th overall

Swim: 21:07.5
T1: 2:42.9
Bike:1:39:29.3
T2: 42.7
Run: 58:20.2
Overall: 3:02:22.7

Check out this great video of my race that Brennan took and edited for me!!!


After the race... Sunscreen & Salt was burning my eyes!!!

All in all I think I might be hooked on this whole triathlon thing!!!
So Brennan you can totally say I told you so. Thanks for being so supportive!! Also huge thanks to my family for not thinking that I am crazy. As well as being excited and happy for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment