Thursday, August 16, 2012

Chula Vista Challenge Triathlon

I competed in my 3rd Olympic Distance race this past weekend. That makes my total -two races this summer season. Sunday I raced the Chula Vista Challenge Triathlon. I was excited for this race for a few reasons. One- I have just more experience on the bike. Two I raced the exact same course in October as my first ever Olympic Distance Triathlon.  Since you are not really able to compare race times because of the many factors. I was excited to hopefully compare my time at least a little.

Even though the race is Sunday this one requires you to check in Saturday as well as drop off your bike and “Transition 2” stuff. Before I headed down to Chula Vista I got in a nice easy 30 minutes on my bike- just to stretch out the legs. After my quick ride I headed solo to check in. Normally Brennan does these things with me- however Saturday is when he likes to get in his long bike ride. I did not want him to feel rushed or not get in the training he needed- so away I went! After a quick detour (reading the map and driving- not a great idea) I made it to the Bike shop where check in was. Since this race is a point to point meaning you start in one place and end nowhere near there you have to check your Transition 2 bag (what you will need for the run portion of the race) off with them.  It will then be waiting for you race day when you get off the bike. I got my number, free tee shirt, asked a few questions. Not the most organized event. After getting checked in and dropping off my T2 bag- I had to head down to the bay where the swim and transition to the bike would take place.
After driving another few miles and finding the correct area. I found a place to part they were having a Pow Wow making things more difficult. Brennan asked like a real Pow Wow- yes with individuals with Indian decent. Looked interesting. After parking I got my bike out and headed to set it up. Once I got my bike set up I wanted to do a quick swim in the bay. The guy watching the bikes gave me a few pointers to stay out of the way of boats (always helpful). Then I changed since the water was so warm I decided against the wet suit. Got in a quick 20 minute open water swim. Even about 100 yards off shore I could have stood up. It was very shallow was well as rocky. Remember that I noticed the rocks on Saturday.
After my quick swim I headed home to relax and finish packing up. I would head to bed nice and early since we would be getting up at 4:30 to get down to the start line. My wave was scheduled to go off at 6:58am. After getting up early we made the 30 mile drive to the race start. I headed into transition to get everything set up. Well not sure if it was me or the bike. But when I went to pump up my tires I noticed the tube in my front tires was all bent.  Thus my tire was flat! There was a quick panic. I tried to fix the problem but I will be honest Brennan is my bike mechanic. I rushed over to the side to tell him. He snuck into the transition area and in less than 10 minutes had my tire fixed and both pumped up.  Disaster averted. Thank you Brennan. While he was doing that I got marked with my number. Set up my water bottles and my transition area. Got my sun block on. Then felt safe enough to leave transition.
I headed to the restroom because like every racer I get nervous. I headed to the lovely long bathroom line.You could tell we were not in the best area because there were no stall doors. Needless to say ladies do not really like that. However it also made for some laughs! After hitting the bathroom I headed over to Brennan. Check out the course- make my last few preparations. With about 15 minutes till go time I wanted to test out my tri kit make sure it would work for swimming since I was going without the wetsuit. I headed into the water. It was nice and warm. No WETSUIT!  Swam about 500 yards or so to warm up. Then headed to shore to wait. When I got back I ran into the Maloney family there youngest son Ryan is part of Insulindependence and I swim with him once a week. We got a quick picture. Then it was time to get ready for what I hoped would be a good quick day.



I would line up with woman from 25-40 age group.  Seems not a lot of women racing. No worries I headed to the front of the group. The announcer made a point not to run because of rocks. I laughed thinking this is a race are you serious?! The bull horn sounded and I was off. I ran from the start got into the water and tried to find a rhythm. There were two other woman who went out very fast. They got away from me a bit after the first buoy. I was feeling pretty good though- quickly gained on the 3 minute group ahead of me. By the turn around point the next buoy was directly into the sun. This caused a little trouble for spotting it.  Once I rounded that buoy you went parallel to shore and around one more buoy.  Well at this point my cap was really starting to slide off my head. I just tried to keep pulling it down. At this point I had caught another wave from before me. This always annoys me cause they are swimming all over and slow. Making that you have to do a little defensive swimming. The last buoy was hard to see and seemed to cause many people an issue. I finally spotted it thanks to a lifeguard. Turn the corner and in I went to shore. With it being so shallow I did a little dolphininig. Then went for the run. Well those rocks I found one. Full sprint dead on the bottom of my foot.  At the time I remember thinking damn that hurt. But whatever! 


















Into transition. Brennan made fun of me for this last year. My goal was to be fast. Into my socks, shoes, sunglasses, watch, helmet. Quick wipe off the skin and I was off running with my bike.  I had a little trouble clipping in. Once into my bike I was off for 24 miles.  The races before the first few miles kinda suck. Your not used to being on the bike your heart is racing and your wet! I just wanted to get a rhythm. The first few miles went better than normal. However this course requires you to climb the entire way. My plan was to  ride hard and controlled. Making sure to get water and food. As I rode I was not getting passed nearly as often. Though the people that did pass me- makes me think what am I doing so wrong. They make it look easy. 
As the ride went it started to get hotter. I just focused on what Brennan told me.  Very few ladies were passing me which was a huge positive.  I also realized that tri shorts are much like swim suits they start to go bad.  FYI they become see through. I saw a lot of guys butt’s.  Needless to say I didn’t like that but it gave me a good laugh.  To those men I hope you get new shorts asap.  Or just another reason to get better- no butt’s passing me.  I had a close call with a Bee on my shorts at 11 miles.  Needless to say I hate Bee’s and am not very good of letting for of the handle bars.  I did get the bee off without crashing or getting stung.  One point for me!!  Once nearing the transition area it was flat.  I pushed hard that last mile hoping to flush my legs. Not sure it worked. 

Upon entering the parking lot for transition a guy on a bull horn is yelling your number.  But what I heard was my amazing fiancé yelling for me! It is what you need after 24 long miles – hear someone cheering for you.  I was off the bike and running in and a nice kid takes your bike to rack it. Another kid runs along with you to a chair. Gets your shoes out for you. As I get all my cycling stuff off he puts it into the bag for you. I was off.  Entire change in 21 seconds, down from 42 last year.  Success! 

Quick transition another yell from Brennan and I was off. It was already super-hot and I was mad I did not put a water bottle in my Transition 2 bag.  No matter I needed to get in 6 miles.  Very quickly I noticed my foot was hurting. I thought it was just cramped or something I had totally forgotten about that rock getting out of the swim. At the first aid station I learned they had crap cups and I got no water down! Not a good sign.  Just tried to focus on running. I ended up going about the same pace as this guy Ryan.  We worked together for the next two miles. I wanted to hold a good pace and he was at it.  Plus suffering is a little easier with another person.  After two miles into the run he had more to give them me.  Then I went back into my mode of focusing that I was moving toward the finish line.  There were a lot of people walking. I was trying at all cost to avoid that.
At mile 2.5 you enter the Olympic Training Center.  Which is pretty cool except it is really hilly.  This course loves themselves some hills.  Many people were walking the hills- I focused on pumping my arms and moving forward.  I took in some chews and headed for the next water station.  At this station I walked it. Got two cups of water one to drink, one to half drink and poor the rest on myself.  At this point I was sweating out nasty ocean water and it was burning my eyes.  After walking for 5 steps I was back to running.  Trying to keep my focused finished the hilly portion.  Walked 5 steps through another aid station.  Then to exit the Olympic Training Center you have to run up about 25 steps.  At this point in the race I was not in the mood for stairs. I am sure I said something not appropriate for a blog.  However it made the guy behind me laugh. 
I was out of the Olympic Training center and I had a little over a mile to go. I was pushing at this point.  I was still passing people and so many were walking. I have such a competitive spirit and no quit attitude thanks to my parents that I knew I could push through. As I turned for the finish line which was what seemed like forever away all these people start to cheer for you. Many saying I was looking great. I laughed at one woman who told me that said glad you think I look good. Cause it doesn’t feel good! I felt like I finished strong through the finisher shot. Again to my amazing fiancé Brennan cheering. Nothing like having him great you at the finish. I could see how proud of me he was and that is priceless.
Overall it was a good race.  I bettered my overall time from the previous year by about 10 minutes.  I was a little slower in the swim. My transitions were way faster, my bike much improved by about 10 minutes, then my run was about a minute and half faster than the previous year.  I won my age group! And if you get something for that I did not!  I was the 100th individual overall and the 18th woman.  Not to bad for only my third race.  As Brennan reminds me if I stay training (I have a tendancy to take little vacations!) then I will only get better. 

When I got home and my foot was still hurting and I was not sure why I took off my shoe to find a very dark bruise the shape of a rock. After 4 days it still hurts! Woops! I guess maybe next time I wont actually run during a race. Haha who am I kidding running was totally worth it!
Thanks to Brennan for getting up early- driving all over- cheering for me. Most of all believing that I could be ok at this triathlon thing! 
2011 Results

1 comment:

  1. I loved this! Thanks for sharing and congrats on a great race! You're making me want to get back into triathlons again!

    ReplyDelete