Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chrissie Wellington

There are always bonuses for working at your job. My mom has pointed out that my job allows me to constantly be able to work out. Many times I have to test our PEAR Square One new work outs.  Not too bad right. Then there are other things aboutmy job like going to race expos. Yes going to expos gets you out of the office but can make for some extremely long days. If the expo is inside you at leastare not fighting with the weather but your still standing all day. Two weekends ago I did just that- was working the San Diego Rock N Roll Expo. Thankfully it was in the convention center.

If you have never done a Rock N Roll race I will say for the money you spend they roll out the red carpet literally. So as an exhibitor working for PEAR Sports I also got to experience it. At this expo they had all kinds of guest speakers every hour, hundreds of companies like us selling their product and free (yep I said it FREE) samples of food. As I worked our booth I got a laugh because the cliff bar booth was just across and people make hysterically funny faces after testing some of their newer products. I also heard a lot of gosh that was awful. Made the days go a bit faster. Plus I got a lot of samples.

What was great is all there guest speakers. Since I was working I did not get to go listen- but they had one imparticular that I really wanted to at least meet.  That individual is Chrissie Wellington a triathlete and four time World Ironman Champion held in Kona (2007, 2008, 2009 and 2011). She flatted in Kona 2008- still won. She did not race Kona in 2010 due to being extremely sick.  In 2011 she won her 4th title while having crashed on her bike12 days prior. Wellington didn’t reveal much about the crash prior to the start. After the race it came out that she had torn her pectoral and intercostal muscles, had been taking antibiotics for nearly two weeks and spent six hours in Kona Community Hospital days before the race. Yet she got to the start line and through what I can imagine to be extreme pain went on to win while almost breaking her own world record. Wellington has yet to lose an Ironman.
Being interviewed after her 2011 World Championship Win

Chrissie Wellington

I grew up with water polo and swimming. Both sports the professionals and Olympians shared a warm up lane with you. So I am not overwhelmed or shocked by professional athletes. There are very few athletes that make menervous or that awe me. Yet ChrissieWellington is an athlete that I respect so much. She has been to the brink. She has raced in excruciating pain and always comes out victorious. Basically she blows my mind. 

I realize you are all wondering why I am telling you this. Well she was at the Rock N Roll.  I used my lunch break to get in line and meet her. She just published a new book and was signing copies. Like a dork I left the booth without my wallet.  So I did not get a signed book.   I did however get to meet her and get a signed poster. When I approached her I almost laughed at myself because I was so nervous. I have never felt that way around an athlete before. It was great to meet her. She is a very positive athlete and always smiles! 
Meeting Chrissie

Just one bonus about working for a company in the sports industry- get to meet a true athlete. I look forward to watching her race for years to come. As well as the difference she is making in the lives of many people based on all the social work she does!  A true athlete in which to use as a role model.
My signed poster- just have to get a frame!!

No comments:

Post a Comment