Friday, December 21, 2012

RHS Alumni Water Polo Game

In high school I always remember that Thanksgiving we played an Alumni game. It was always a ton of fun because it was our first "real" game of the season. Meaning we were not scrimmaging against ourselves. Plus I knew many of the alumni from playing club with them when I was in middle school.

After graduating high school I took on the task of arranging the game- not sure how that came about but I was happy to do it as I had connections with the older alumni and with Brooke being younger we knew alot of players. There was a span of a few years with no alumni game not for lack of trying. There were a few reasons the game did not take place mainly a new coach. The coach I played for had been there well over 10 years. Then there was the issue that my little sister KK. Well she plays at the rival high school- which in the last few years has a tendency to bet my Redlands. However this year with another new coach who I had previously know and the help of Brooke we were playing our alumni game.

Like always it was a ton of fun to get together with old friend. Some girls had never been back for a game so it was great to see them. Just a great to time to hear about there new jobs, recent marriages, see there cute little babies. I hope to keep it going as a long standing tradition and maybe even add a bar crawl or pot luck.

The game itself was fun everyone getting to play a ton. Re-living some of the glory days, realizing just how out of shape we all our. Laughing at how we wont be able to walk or move our arms come sundown. But well worth it. Plus always great to get to pass along your knowledge to the high school players. This year I even managed to score a few goals. Goal scoring was not my thing back in my high school days. Brooke still has it- though she cant throw past half tank anymore. I even played a few minutes in goal- blocked a whole two shots!

Thanks to all the alumni for coming out. It was great to see you all! Thanks to Coach Lamb for allowing us to come play the girls and thanks to the girls for playing us. 


Look at those alumni!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment