Wednesday, September 5, 2012

65 Years of Marriage

KK by the gateway to the West
Two weekends ago I was lucky enough to spend a very quick weekend in St. Louis celebrating 65 years of marriage with family. I headed out Friday afternoon with mom, Sean & KK. After what actually seemed like a quick flight. Well maybe not for Sean who didn’t bring anything to read or occupy his time. Thankfully KK was thinking of him & brought the newest Sports Illustrated which he managed to read half of before leaving it in the seat back when we moved to the front of the plane on our layover. This left him which no option for the longer flight into St. Louis. Luckily KK had 17 Magazine which Sean read cover to cover. Even smelling the perfumes. He then informed us half of what they say is crap. Thankfully I think I already knew that but having Sean tell me was a highlight.

Upon arrival in St. Louis we would head to Kirkwood where my Aunt Nancy lives. She was nice enough to open her home to the Vessey travelers for the weekend. With a quick stop off at Steak & Shake-no trip to St. Louis is complete if you don’t. 
Saturday would start early (at least in Pacific Time standards). We would get dressed and try to catch Grandma and Grandpa at their house before heading to the park for the afternoon. We may a quick stop off at Krispy Cream for Donuts (Brennan is going to be so disgusted after reading all the crappy food places we eat). Anyways after some fresh donuts and chocolate milk got to my grandparents. Where we found a funny site. My grandma in the car in the drive way pressing the garage button. My grandpa yelling from in the garage. While my Aunt Jeanie and Uncle Joe attempted to help fix the broken garage door. It would seem they were unsuccessful. After catching up for a few minutes it was off to the park.

Many of my relatives live around St. Louis- this Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Spouses, 2nd cousins.  The number is alot and those are only the ones living in St. Louis! With a ton of small 2nd cousins the park seemed like a good idea. Well it was! There were about 20 kids all under the ae of 8 running everywhere. It was a great time watching them all play and playing with them.  Also nice to just sit and chat with everyone.  At this event I avoided eating anything! After spending a few hours at the park- where I played soccer, ran threw a mini water park, and caught some of my 2nd cousins jumping off this little wall.  We also celebrated with a big pretzel.  Very quickly families started disappearing- kids started to lose it.  It was NAP time.  Since we had a little time mom drove us arround this large park through the Veterans cemetery.  We wanted to see where grandpa went when drafted into the military.  My mom thinks at one point my grandpa Vessey also spent some time there.  Then we went and viewed the very dry Mississippi River.
After our quick tour it was back to shower and change for church. My grandparents are still very active in there church and the mass was going to be said for them. After changing and finding the church we smashed into one of the front pews. Very quickly realizing there was another couple being blessed. My grandparents brought up the offering for the entire conjugation. While my cousin Laura’s husband almost had to catch grandpa as he stumbled. At the end of Mass the priest had my grandparents and the other couple stand. The other couple was celebrating 40 years. Which sounds like a lot till you hear 65. When he announced my grandparents they stood. The priest made note that they had been married 65 years. What an honor it was to be a part of and the example they set in our society! That through the hard times it can be done. After Mass many people congratulated my grandparents. I was honored to be there to witness something to special.
From Mass we headed to a favorite restaurant of the family “on the hill”. The restaurant is named Fifazio’s (sure that is spelled wrong).  We had a private room. We would spend the next few hours chatting with family and enjoying each other’s company. Plus they had toasted Ravioli which are so good!!  They are my mom’s favorite. Then we had a great meal. I had this pasta with vegetables it was amazing. Sean and seafood pasta it was very good and mom had the steak also amazing. I have to say A+ for food. Before dinner started my grandpa gave a toast. It was very emotional for him to get through. He spoke about how my grandmother wrote him for 2 years every other day while he was away (they do not still have those letters). That she had the hardest job in raising their 8 children. That all he did was make a few dollars. That she did an amazing job. It was touching and made us all cry. He also mentioned that from those 2 people there are 103 descendants. That is not including those married into the family as spouses. Especially since there are still so many of us who have not even started that part of our lives. 103 people! Amazing!!


Teddy
Sunday we would once again get up nice and early.  My cousin Laura's son Teddy was born with congestive heart failure.  He had 4 holes in his heart.  He has had numerous operations and will have a few more.  Teddy also has 22Q.  Sunda was a fundriser walk for the St. Louis Childrens Heart Foundation at one of the big parks. We had delayed our departure tille the evening to be able to join some of our family in supporting Teddy and be a part of the Heart Walk.  Our family has a lot of connection with Hearts!  We had another great few hours. Watching the kids play in the bubbles.  We would walk around the lake which was wabout 4 miles. Then after have a little lunch and play somemore.  My 2nd cousin Teddy is awesome! I always love seeing him. He just seems to love us Vessey kids.  It is also amazing to see what modern medicine can do! There has been such great strides in ensuring Teddy and those like him live a normal and active life.  Nothing is stopping him. We also had to say our goodbyes from the park.  The major good bye was to my grandparents who came for the lunch portion of the day!  Always hard to leave.  I also got a lot of see you in California... Guess that means they are coming for my wedding!  Which was a major topic of discussion. I promise I am working on it! 
Sean & KK at Busch Stadium


These are all shots- photo does not justice
After a quick stop off at my Aunt Nancy's for our things we headed into St. Louis for a bit of sigh seeing.  We tend to see many of the same things but it is always fun!  Since we have never actually lived in St. Louis but have a strong connection Sean has always been a die- hard Cardinals and Rams Fan.  We stopped by Busch Stadium (one day we will see a game there) and got him some new swag!  Then we headed over to see the new dome where the Ram's play.  Then down by the Mississippi River to see the "Gate Way to the West".  We ended up eating in this small area right off the river.  It was a great restaurant bar.  They had such a crzy shot menu- which my mom claimed some she would actually like!  Maybe after we are all out of the house she can see how those different shots taste in celebration! That would be a sight- especially with that Schneller stomach!!
It was a little over 48 hours total we were gone. So a very crazy and quick weekend in St. Louis. But it was amazing to be a part of something so special.  5 years is a very long time. I am honored to have them as my grandparents. What an example they set for Brennan & myself. I only hope I can live as great a life with my best friend as they have.Congratulations Grandma and Grandpa. The number of descendants will only grow!

Sean-Teddy-KK

PS- Hope to just post more pictures sometime soon from our St. Louis weekend. I just need to wait for my cousins to post them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment