Sunday, July 3, 2011

Insulindependence University (iD)

Brennan's new job has brought about a ton of changes for me as well.  Most importantly it has made it so that I am more involved with the non-profit Insulindependence (iN).  About two weeks ago they had a huge event here in San Diego called Insulindependence University.  The "captains" all come together for this program to learn more about themselves, their diabetes and how to better their diabetes management through athletics. Many use triathlons, others distance running and some the great outdoors. 


So since Brennan works for the organization he did a ton of logistics and other planning for the different events over the course of the week.  Thankfully the start of the week I was also working camp so we were both extremely busy. However while Brennan was setting things up they realized they needed someone to come speak to the Triabetes (triathlon group) about open water swimming and run a swim in La Jolla Cove.  Well guess who he convinced to volunteer.  No I was more then honored to be asked.  Plus it got me out of breakfast duty one morning of swim camp. 


I would leave the dorm at 5:30 to meet the group at La Jolla Cove.  Where I gave a quick speech about open water swimming. Ocean vs Lake, Spotting, swimming a group, entering and exiting, drafting.  Then took questions. I was pretty impressed with my knowledge since I had not raced in a few years open water.  I then took them toward the cove and helped them do some spotting and sent them out.  They seemed to all like the cove and there was a bunch of seals that morning. 


Vic and Brennan getting out of the ocean

A few of the triabetes members finishing up the cove swim


 Since Brennan is also an active member in the triathlon group (Triabetes) and the running group (Glucomotive) who I also raced under in the Carlsbad half marathon last year.  It was interesting to get to see more of what the organization does. I spent Thursday afternoon listening to a few different lectures they had set up for the captains.  I learned some great information about my self in training and then about what Brennan goes through to be able to train and do it successfully.  I then headed down to La Jolla Shores with the organization for a dinner and a bonfire on the beach.  It was a fun event where I got to meet great people.  Who all just think Brennan is doing a great job in his new role with the organization. I could not agree more!!


Friday I had planned to again help the organization.  I was able to help the triabetes group with there swimming this time in a pool.  I led the captains through some drills to improve there swimming and become efficient with every stroke. Then had them doing some swim sets.  They were all great and they seemed to make some great strides and were able to learn specific drills that would be able to help them at home.  It was another great experience.


So overall I loved being able to help out the organization in terms of donating my time and my expertise in the world of swimming. I am a full supporter of Insulindependence. I am IN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment