Friday, June 3, 2011

Water Polo and Swimming

I just cant stay away.. I guess I just really love water polo and swimming.  I was able to attended the San Diego State Sports Club banquet.  It was a ton of fun to attend the event with the girls I coached.  They also received some recognition for an outstanding season in which we lost in the semi finals of the WWPA tournament.  It was also great to see the Women's Water Polo Club President Rachel win the most prestigious award presented that evening, for her leadership in and out of the pool.  Rachel was the person who basically hired me and was extremely helpful to me as a coach.  She was also a joy to coach and reminded me constantly why I love the game of water polo.  

                                       
Some of the team

I am going to do a bit of bragging.  My little sister Mikayla who has always been awesome was able to qualify for the CIF prelims in the 100 Fly.  As a sophomore and an athlete that doesn't really enjoy swimming, I could not have been happier or more proud of her.  I got to see her race earlier in the season where she just missed going under a minute in the 100 fly.  She managed to get under the milestone of a minute and qualify during the Citrus Belt League Finals. So Mikayla would be making her first trip to Belmont in an individual event. 

I would not miss Mikayla racing so Brennan and I headed to Long Beach to watch her compete.  I had forgotten the energy and tensions that are present when you walk into Belmont shore.  As we drew neared to Mikayla's race I was even getting nervous for her.  She had a great race, she went out after it.  She struggled to get home a bit, but hey she was swimming and so many other kids had not met the qualifying times to even have the opportunity.  So I would say it was a great experience.
                                         
KK's race

 After the race when I was talking to her, she said "I have been here so many times to watch you and Brooke compete in swimming and water polo.  I was not nervous at all and then I got up on the block and got so nervous."  I just laughed, which she did not find funny. And replied " You have been here a lot to watch, what is the best part of this is I got to come back and watch you compete.  And sometimes this place gets the best of you or you get the best of it.  Either way KK you are here competing and that is awesome, and we all get nervous." 

 Brennan and KK.. 
We have a lot of pictures in this area over the last 10 years

I am so thankful to have the ability and opportunities to be present for all the different events that my siblings participate in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment