Thursday, March 3, 2011

Shortest Month-Most Stuff

February is the shortest months and yet I some how managed to pack in the most stuff this last month. I literally worked every day of the month. I worked my first running event for Spectrum Sports, coached the SDSU Water Polo club team at the UCLA tournament, attended the San Diego Hall of Champions Dinner, possibly my only none working two day's were at the Northern Trust Open (yet even then I was stressed) and then a week in Oklahoma at the Mountain West Conference Championships as a coach and a correspondent with collegeswimming.com

I worked my first running event the Redondo Beach Super Bowl 10k. I had heard from Brennan who has also worked for Spectrum that running events have so much that go into the race that the normal person does not realize.  I have also been told that if I was tired after working this 2-day event then I should never work a triathlon.  So I finished coaching in San Diego at 6 pm Friday night and I got in the car and drove straight to Redondo.  Surprisingly traffic was my friend.  Spectrum put me up in a hotel right across from the venue, so that was really nice.  I started work early early Saturday morning.  I was in charge of all the volunteers.  The volunteers were working the check-in area, the tee-shirt disbursement and then other different areas.  I was also in charge of building all the trash cans for the area (that did not go so well).  I spent the entire day on my feet working any way I could.  We finally ended the day around 7 and then headed to dinner.  I was able to meet some great people that work for Spectrum and had a ton of fun at dinner.  Sunday would start at 2:30 am. I was outside ready to work at 2:45 am.  My day would again consist of being in charge of all the volunteers and the number would double because of volunteers working the water stations, the end of the race snacks, tee- shirts and check in. I was able to sneak away and watch Brennan start and end his 10K, so people cant say I don't multi-task well.  The day would end with clean up and every time I thought we were near done I would come across something else that had to get done.  I did have a great time with the Spectrum Crew, two of the main employee's are alumni of the USF Sport Management Program.  I enjoyed Meaghan the most even if she is a terrible drive of the Gator and crashed into a wall.  But it was fun to hangout with another alumni and I think she enjoyed having another girl on the event crew.

 Brennan finishing the race!!! With a new PR!!

My water polo coaching has been going well, it is a little different to be in complete charge of the team.  Drawing up practices has probably been my biggest challenge.  I know what I want to teach but sometimes with such different level of players and only me, my plan does not work as well as I hope.  But so far I can see that the girls are learning and getting better.  And for some who have never played the game, I can see them falling in love with the sport.  I have missed the game of water polo so getting involved through coaching has been great for me.  

We had our first tournament of this semester at UCLA.  The tournament ended up going great, the girls played so well.  We won all 4 of our games and the closest game we won was by 5 goals.  So as a coach I think I did a good job changing our strategy on the fly, subbing was difficult but I got better at that.  And I did not get in trouble at all with the Ref's.  So it was a great weekend. And the girls got to play which is the best part.  Since UCLA the girls have played in one other tournament and went 2-2. So the team is on the right track and we are learning and getting better everyday.

During the UCLA tournament Brennan was super busy with work being only 3 days out from the star of the Northern Trust Open PGA Golf Tournament. Even being super busy Brennan managed to meet us for dinner on Saturday with a beautiful set of flowers for Valentine's day (a few day's early, but way better in person). I did not tell the girls that he was coming to meet us, so when I walked up to In-N-Out he was standing outside, and of course I made a b-line for him. Where he gave me my beautiful flower (a surprise).  Inside the girls all still seemed confused, when we finally got to the van they all lost it and was like how weird was that guy just following you with flowers.  I could not stop laughing, and was like sorry guys that was my boyfriend Brennan.  They were all like oh it makes sense. Probably the funniest thing, I guess water polo, sun and a lot of sun block really messes with there minds.  I would also receive another set of flowers Monday. So thank-you Brennan for being amazing!! 

My BEAUTIFUL Valentine's day flowers

I had the honor of attending one of my first big banquet's with an athlete. My freshman swimmer Kelly Marquiene and Stephanie Koch was invited to the San Diego Hall of Champions 65th Annual Salute to the Champions Dinner. The event was held at the San Diego Town and Country Hotel in Mission Valley.  There were so many famous athletes it was amazing.  The big honor is to be inducted into the Breitbard Hall of Fame.  Mr. Breitbard passed away this past year and has been a huge factor in having such great athletes and teams in San Diego.  Past inductee's are people like Marshal Faulk, Bill Walton who were both present.  The inductee's this year were La'Roi Glover, Lincoln Kennedy, Paul Lowe, and John Lynch.  The event was great and I look forward to being able to attend it in the future and I cant wait to schedule a time to go walk through the museum in Balboa Park. 

My girls in the corner (with Bill Walton behind them)

The girls up on the stage

Our two swimmers and me

So I would spent my 2nd weekend in a row in LA, this time for Brennan's golf tournament.  The Northern Trust Open played at the Rivieria Country Club in Pacific Palisades. The weather was much better this year, even though it still rained.  I rush from Saturday morning practice so not to miss his military appreciation event.  No worries I made it with ten minutes to spare.  The military event that Brennan organized was great!! Brennan's dad would also be at the event, he flew out from Wisconsin and had been a volunteer all week for the event. My parents would also come out to the golf course Saturday to support Brennan.  So if you didn't guess I would get to introduce my parents to Mr. Cassidy.  The four of us had a great day watching golf and avoiding the rain.  We would later all go out to dinner and wait for Brennan to finish work and he would join us.  I had an amazing day with my parents, as a oldest of four children, days alone with your parents are few and far between. So I loved being with them and having that special time doing something that we had never done.  Plus they were able to share in what Brennan does for a living. 

 The 1st hole
 Looking over some of the course
View from the Club House

 I would come back to the event Sunday for the final day of the tournament after running some errands for Brennan (Dry Cleaning anyone.. haha).  Brennan's dad and I would walk some of the course and actually run into my cousin Donnie who had come out to the event with his fiance and some of his friends. I would walk a few holes with them before heading up to meet with Brennan for a bit. I would then grab a seat on the 18th hole and wait for the final pairings.  As the last group was coming up the way, I could see the trophy and low and behold the person holding that trophy was Brennan.  It was so cool, well until he ended up holding the trophy for over an hour. He said later his arms were so tired by the time he finally got to set it down.  Once the winner was crowned he walked out to the 18th hole and would set up all the award stuff. 
At the 18th hole

Brennan walking out with the trophy

Brennan holding the trophy

A the end of the tournament I know that Brennan was so glad it was over and he deserved a much needed break from work. The tournament overall went great, they had a 50% increase in attendance, he helped drive military and his Tickets Fore Charity Program did great!! So good job Brennan, so proud of you!! I would leave LA and head straight back to SD to leave Monday morning for Oklahoma City for the Mountain West Conference Championships.  But that event deserves its own blog!! So stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment