Monday, March 14, 2011

Mountain West Conference Swimming and Diving Championships

This is how my week ended!!! Can't get much better

So if you did not know I am in my second season as a volunteer assistant coach for San Diego State University Swimming and Diving Team. I also swam at state in my under grad and Brooke is a senior on the team.   This year the team went 19-0 and won our first in-season Mountain West title as well as the Mountain West Conference Championship Title. 

This is a feat that not many can imagine, my junior year when I joined the team because of the hiring of a new coaching staff, we got 2nd to last in the conference. We had one girl swim in a final over the course of the four day meet. It was hard to stomach we were so terrible.  My senior year we moved up a few places but were still not very good.  Over the course of those two years the coaches and team had worked hard in recruiting and training.  Once I graduated I decided that I wanted to coach and had the ability to stay with the team.  I knew based on all the hard work that the coaches and swimmers were putting in that we were headed in the right direction.  That direction was to the top of the conference that had so long looked at San Diego State as the bottom of the barrel. 

Its hard to explain to people what I have been doing with my life and how I can work so many hours a week for free, while then finding more time in my life to work for money.  I mean you have to pay the bills somehow. But over the course of this last season it was all worth it. I cant explain what it feels like to always be working for over two years, to have no spending money which makes you pass up many events with friends.  All in the hopes that working for free will get me a job down the road when I have finished my master's degree. But I will tell anyone who asks it was totally worth it.  I got to make an impact in these girls lives, while they made an impact on my life that will be everlasting.  I got to watch all my hard work and there's come to fruition when they raced.  I watched them all become CHAMPIONS last month.. And I did it with my best friend who just happens to be my sister Brooke.  Brooke had an amazing championship, she made it to the finals in all three of her individual events. You can find those videos at my YouTube page Allwater12 or at San Diego State Swimming- Brooke's Races

At the end of the meet it was a combination of many feelings. It may be my last time coaching as an Aztec. But more then that how many people get to experience something of this magnitude with a sibling and so early in there coaching career.

Check out some of my pictures and video's from the Mountain West Conference Championships

 Our biggest fan's. Thanks for all the support

 My "Middle Distance" group. So proud of these ladies

With 2 of my swimmers!!
 Melanie on the left got 4th in the 400 IM, 2nd in the 500 Free, 2nd in the Mile.
Kelly on the right won the 200 free, 500 Free, and the Mile- She was then awarded the Mountain West Conference Swimmer of the Year!!

With my swimmer Kelly the Mountain West Conference Swimmer of the Year- competing at NCAA's this week!!

My sisters!!!

Celebrating in the pool as CHAMPIONS!!!


Our celebration!!

Mountain West Conference CHAMPIONS

1 comment:

  1. Nothing worth having comes without sacrifice. You gave up a lot to work for the team, proud of you and what you accomplished.

    ReplyDelete