Wednesday, June 11, 2014

CWPA National Champions

Why I Coach:
Coaching to me has a very different definition than how it would be defined in the Webster Dictionary. I coach so that I can share the knowledge that I have so greatly received from my personal experiences from coaches, athletes, games and situations. I coach to give back to young individuals, help guide then forward in life. I coach to create a place that all feel welcome and that their thoughts and opinions matter with equal weight.

Some individuals coach so that they have complete power. I coach for the opposite, I want to give my athletes power. I get just as much from my athletes as I believe I am giving them. I learn something new constantly from them. My biggest thoughts were during the National Championship game with so much on the line, that my players were still confident in voicing their thoughts on plays and situations. This type of coaching I believe allows for the sharing of constructive information and growth for us all.

This past season was like no other year of coaching. Like anytime coaching there are the good days and bad days. As a coach I have experienced some amazing wins and some very tough losses. This year I was able to rooster and coach two teams an A squad and a B team. This alone created some extremely long days at tournaments coaching 4 games in a day many back to back. Yelling from the bench to my other squad that was supposed to be warming up or cooling down. Or the time we played each other and I was standing near half coaching both sides, I can tell you that game got very confusing.

As the season went on my A squad only lost a game that was at the ASU open invitational. My B squad lost a few and won some great games, getting better every time we played. This was the best part of the year, the girls actually wanted to sub they were playing so much. No one was mad about playing time!Everyone became a better player and teammate. 

Pacific Coast Division Championship:
Victory Swim
In order for us to advance to the National Championship tournament we needed to win the Pacific Coast Division championship, this is something that as a program we had never accomplished. The best we had ever done was 2nd in our league, back in 2012. Where we got 5th at the National Championship (in Florida). The programs only other appearance at the National Championship, prior to this year. That year 2nd was good enough to stamp our ticket because CAL Poly (in our league had one the 2011 National Title- granting our division 2 spots).  That said this year we had to win to advance.

This would be the first time our program got to host the Pacific Coast Division Champs, making a bit of extra work for us. In all it worked to our benefit. The  B team would have a great tournament ending with two wins and two loses. Then the A squad would play through the tournament with little trouble. Then playing a great game against Cal Poly to win! I would get to take a great victory swim. Being pushed in by the girls! It was such an exciting time for the girls and our program. Then we started the planning process Nationals was only three weeks out.
Spending a bit of time stressed with the president we managed to get everyone’s plane tickets to Cleveland Ohio. The hotel booked, our rental cars rented and our paperwork turned in. 

Nationals Bound: 
The trip to Ohio would start super early. We had a 6:15am flight. Of course we had a delay out. Which seems to be the only way I travel these days. Once in Ohio we headed straight to the pool to warm up.The girls got to loosen up and start to feel comfortable with the indoor pool. We then headed to grab some dinner and back to the hotel. Which of course had the water being turned off- after a cross country flight, humid pool and then no shower. This was turning out to be an adventure for us.

Friday we would only have to play one game as the 3 seed, we were playing 14th seed, which would be NYC. I was happy with how the starters came out to play setting  us up for a great tournament.We were then able to rest the starters and play our entire squad. It was great to see some of the younger less experienced players get a great amount of time. We would win 13-6. Game Recap. With a good amount of time left in the day we wanted to rest up, we headed to lunch and the movies. Getting the girls in bed early to set us up for another great day.  

Last huddle before the championship game
Saturday we would play two games. I would also have my own cheering section, Nik made the 2-hour drive to Geneva to watch the games. The girls really enjoyed meeting him. The first game of the day was played against Duke. Thanks to some great help from my old teammates and best friend Anna, I had a full scouting report. We would win the game and everyone would get a great amount of playing time once again. We would defeat Duke 9-2. Game Recap. 

After winning this game we were officially in uncharted territory for our program. History was already being made we were into the semifinals of the National Championship tournament. The semifinals would be against ASU. We had played them at the ASU tournament earlier in the season.We had struggled a bit  in March with them, so I was a bit unsure how this game would go.The girls would come out firing away. They really set the pace of the game, allowing for everyone to play. We would defeat ASU 12-4. Game Recap. After beating ASU we were granted our first ever trip into the NATIONAL Championship game.

MVP Morgan
Sunday would be an exciting day for our program. The girls were a little nervous as was I. The game would start out a little slow for us. The girls then started to settle into the game. This would be the first game of the year in which the girls were pushed. The score would go back and forth. Leading into the fourth quarter, both teams had the opportunity to win the game. Yet defense was great on both side and we held them off. Our goalie Morgan was a brick wall down the line, she stopped everything.  With such great defense, it meant overtime. Two quarters- three minutes. No goals were scored. By this point we had not been subbing much, the girls playing were exhausted. We had two starters that had fouled out of the game. After two more quarters it was sudden death till a winner was crowned. With only about 10 seconds left in the first quarter of sudden death- Meghan Harder was able to sneak the ball into the goal. We would win 10-9. Game Recap 
Celebrating our overtime win
I can fully admit to not even seeing Meghan’s goal. I was watching the other side of the pool, hoping that the girls were running the play that we had just discussed in a timeout. At this point the place erupted; I am not sure if I was pushed in or jumped. Honestly I think it was a bit of both. Not sure I had ever swam so fast in my life. I was in the middle of the girls huddle in what seems like an instance. We spent some time celebrating in the middle, before heading to shake hands. It was such a great game all around. 

After we shook hands, it was award time. We would be presented last with our National Championship plaques. Morgan would be named MVP of the tournament, while Bailey and Kelli were named to 1st team. The girls were just so excited. A few times I wanted to cry just watching the excitement of the girls. During the game was hard, they had never been tested, the entire year they had just won. So for them to dig deep and stay as a team, was wonderful to see. Many times when a team is in a hard place or struggling it all goes bad when the girls start yelling at each other. My team never did this, they were always so positive with each other. As supportive as they could be. Just wanted one thing to all become National Champions. The girls were just so excited, they had so many amazing things to say to me during awards. This tournament and team is one of my proudest moments.

National Champions
Once the awards were over it was time to shower and get on the road. I had heard about the longest & oldest covered bridge just down the road. As a team we would head to see it. Then it was back to San Diego as National Champions! Only a few girls graduate, so I am hoping to have another amazing season next year.

I want to also thank all the parents of the girls. They were just great this season. To all the people that stepped up and made a donation to the program. You helped these girls create one of the best memories of their lives. One of the best parts of this tournament was the CWPA had set up live streaming of all the games via the internet.It was always amazing to receive text messages from family after a game. After the championship game I had over 100 messages from my family- texting back and forth. The joy and love you all sent for me. That you were 100% behind me coaching. Brennan thanks for all your love and understanding when I freak out. To my siblings for all your texts and tweets, coming to watch me coach. Brooke for helping to coach. My parents for being supportive as always. For Brennan's parents watching the game and not thinking that I am crazy after watching me. I am very blessed with amazing athletes and an even better family. 

The league gave me all the games on DVD. I can officially say that I have not watched any of the games yet. I started the championship game, but within seconds my heart rate was rising and I could not do it. Still just so fresh and exciting. Maybe in a few weeks! 

Longest & oldest covered bridge


If you are interested in reading more in-depth about the games check them out below.
Game 1: SDSU vs NYC
Game 3 (Semi Finals): SDSU vs ASU

1 comment:

  1. This is so great. I'm so happy for you and your team. You are such a great coach and person! Thanks for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete