Saturday, January 11, 2014

RHS Hall of Fame


I realized that I never actually talked about the RHS Athletic Hall of Fame Event. To say I was humbled would be an understatement.

When I was first asked to include my resume, I laughed. The rules are basically you have to be out of school 5 year and still continuing with athletics. I worked a few hours collecting all my accomplishments, awards, and volunteer opportunities, multiple jobs. Turns out I have done a few things in my short life. It was a fun reminder of my years of high school, college and the few years following.

I was informed a few weeks after turning in my resume that I had been selected for the 2013 Hall of Fame class. I was voted in with a unanimous vote. What a true honor. I then needed to get them pictures and approve my plaque.

Brennan & I in the Hall of Fame
The induction events would take place over two days in November. Thursday November 7th would be jam backed with events on campus. Brennan and I would leave nice and early from San Diego, with a quick stop to grab my grandpa. We then drove to Redlands.

The first event was to meet at the Hall of Fame room on campus at 9am. I had never been into the room.  My dad would meet us there. It was the first chance to see all those previously inducted. Then to see my plaque hanging with all the others. Woman have only been inducted for the past few years, so I am truly honored to join the select few. We would then all be introduced to the group.

Chuck's plaque
After spending some time in the hall of fame we were headed to see the rest of campus. I laughed cause it does not look much different, but for others it had been three or four decades and A LOT had changed. The tour was a ton of fun in terms of getting to show Brennan my high school. We also were able to stop and see the tree and plaque planted for the late Chuck Baker. I spent a few minutes just thinking of him and knowing he was watching. In the gym I got to see Brooke’s name on the wall for CIF Division 5 player of the year! 

Proud of you Brooke!!!
Once the tour ended it was time to head out for lunch. Dad and grandpa meet up with us again (they didn’t want to do all the walking around campus). We had a great lunch with all the inductee’s, friends and family. In all honesty based on the age of everyone else being inducted my dad and grandpa fit in much better than Brennan & I.

When we finished lunch it was back to campus. The inductee’s had been asked to speak with the 6th period athletes PE classes. I think this was one of the best parts of the Hall of Fame events. Brennan laughed at me cause I was freaking out and not sure what to say. My quick speech was basically that I was just them, time goes quickly. Life will give you what you put into it. So dream big and work hard. Remember where you came from. I think it resonated well with the athletes.

With my table
After the speech we had about two hours before we needed to be at the UofR for the banquet. We went and hung out with the dad and grandpa at the house. I then started the process of getting ready. Since I was being inducted we needed to be there early to set up my table. I had brought some memorabilia to add as well. Then my always amazing mom came strolling in!

During my speech
Since we were early it gave us some time to chat with the other inductee’s and Redlands peps. Redlands is a small town when you start to really get involved. I was truly blessed and honored by the number of friends who came out to support me through my carreer andthen showed up for the banquet. I want to thank Matt Fry my high school water polo coach and swim coach. Was great to have him sitting at our table. Then the Brown’s and West’s who have seen me progress from learn to swim to a college coach. Patty Baker, Sandi Ritchey and the Atchley’s who have known me since before I could swim.  Thank you for giving up an evening to see me be awarded, I feel so blessed!


The evening was a lot of fun, just chatting over dinner. Then we got to listen to speeches from those who are on the board of the Hall of Fame, which are all volunteers. Then all inductee’s were given a chance to speak. Some speeches were very funny, some to long. I was starting to get really nervous about mine. I had a speech I was well aware was to long, but Brennan reminded me that no one would be mad and this was my time. I gave my speech and only managed to tear up!

With my fellow Aztec
It was a long night but jus very exciting. The banquet was amazing and packed. They had sold out and went to extra capacity! Which made it even more amazing.

Friday would be restful. Brennan and I would spend most of the day at Panera working. Then it was time to get ready for the football game. I took a lot of heat for Brennan since I decided to wear my letterman’s jacket. In Redlands that was what everyone wears to the games. I probably wont have many chances left, or none if Brennan has his choice! We all headed to the football game where we had field access. We watched the team warm up. Then I was announced prior to the game. It was a funny introduction, “ I got the just look at her jacket, and we can’t even tell you everything she has accomplished”. I was a bit embarrassed hearing that. I then got to shake all the captains hands. Only to have one say are you Mikayla’s sister? I responded, “Well yes she is my sister”. He replies “I see it really runs in the family”. That made me laugh. Turns out he went to REV with Sean and KK but then transferred to RHS. Small town!
I have attended my share of football games. I always wonder what it would be like in the coin toss. I finally got my chance. I was asked to join the coin toss, where the refs and athletes congratulated us. Dad told me to go out there and be ready. Say we are calling heads, we want to defer and we will be going toward the East. It would have been funny if I did, but I did not!

Then the family headed into the stands to watch the game. On our way to the stands all different RHS fans congratulated me. My parents were congratulated on all my accomplishments. It was a fun moment. I then got to spend a bit more time with the inductee’s, they were all so amazing in there own right. What I appreciated the most if for being a smaller sport they were all so amazed and kept informing me of that!

At half time the team was not playing well. Brennan, grandpa and I needed to drive back home. I had to be at San Diego State Saturday morning by 7am. My club team was hosting a pre-season tournament. It never ends for those looking to be the best!

Mr Morse and Me
I want to thank all those that have supported me over the years. To my parents who are just amazing, my siblings that were my biggest fans! My husband Brennan who took in a lot of Redlands for a weekend. My grandpa for the support and coming to see me being honored. My coaches especially Matt Fry, who always believed in me.  For my dentist Hank Mercado who is on the board of the Hall of Fame, also another inductee. Thank you for telling my dad about it, for helping me through the process. Thanks to the rest of the Hall of Fame board for putting together an amazing event and including me in it! Thanks to Kenny Morse who I had as a teacher and is now in administration. For all your work with the board of the Hall of Fame, for taking us on a tour, getting us on the field and everything in between. 





1 comment:

  1. Congrats Jamie! Sounds like a wonderful experience and I can't think of anyone more deserving!!

    ReplyDelete