Sunday, December 8, 2013

Being Inducted into RHS Hall of Fame (Article)

Aquatics star Jamie Vessey to be inducted into Redlands HS Hall of Fame




Redlands High grad Jamie Vessey will be inducted into the RHS Athletic Hall of Fame in ceremonies today at the Orton Center. Staff file photo


By Ed Castro

REDLANDS - Jamie Vessey is the epitome of a first ballot hall of famer.
Her athletic resume is second to none, making her a natural for induction during today’s Redlands High School Athletic Hall of Fame in the Orton Center at the University of Redlands.
“l did a lot and it wasn’t too long ago,” Vessey said. “We were successful and I would have liked to have won the two CIF titles when we got there. There are many athletes that can say they played in a CIF championship in front of that championship crowd.”

Vessey twice played for a CIF title in girl’s water polo. And the first CIF title match is a memory that will last a lifetime. “It’s pretty unreal,” Vessey said. “It was my junior year and we finally made it past the quarterfinals. It was at the University of Redlands. It was so thrilling to have the game here. It was amazing.” Vessey remembers the moment the RHS track team jogged to the venue and rooted for the Terriers. “I just remember all that anxiety of that whole day,” Vessey said. “So many people were there. We had students on the concrete, the ref’s had to push them back. It was a full house.”

Redlands defeated Riverside Poly to reach Vessey’s first CIF championship game. “We threw the coaches into the pool, the track team went nuts,” Vessey said. “The next day people came up to me and talked about it. It was an unreal feeling. It was really great.” Vessey wrote herself into the RHS water polo record books. She is fifth all time in career goals, second all time in career assists, and is the all-time leader in career steals. She holds the Nos. 1 and 3 spots for steals in a game and Nos. 2-5 for steals in a season.

“I was able to do well in water polo and swimming,” Vessey said. “Even when I ran in cross country I reached the CIF prelims. I always had the chance to compete at the highest levels.”
Vessey was a two-time Citrus Belt League Most Valuable Player, a four-time All CIF selection.
“My impression of the hall of fame is that it’s a great thing,” Vessey said. “I like reading about the inductees. To know that I’m being inducted in the same class as the Bee football team, which didn’t play varsity but was a great team, is really cool to me.”

Water polo seemed like a natural tuneup for the swimming season, which Vessey excelled at as well. She won two individual CBL titles and two CBL relay titles in each of her four seasons. She was the team MVP in her freshman season and reached the CIF consolation finals in her sophomore and junior seasons. When she was done swimming Vessey registered a four year CBL undefeated record in the 200 freestyle and the 100 butterfly. Vessey was somewhat of a veteran in water sports by the time she reached high school. She competed in recreational basketball, softball and track. But it was the pool in her back yard that helped the most. “It was a natural to go into swimming,” Vessey said. “A water polo club started and I said I might as well as try that too. I enjoyed both.” Vessey got married last month. And today’s Hall of Fame tour of the high school will be her first in years. “I have not been on campus in a long time,” Vessey said. “I’ve never been in the hall of fame. I think that is really going to be pretty exciting. It’s going to be a cool feeling.”

No comments:

Post a Comment