Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Ice Cream Tradition

There is a tradition in the Vessey house the night before school starts.  We always go to Ice Cream the night before. Not sure my parents ever thought it would last as long as it did. It was always like the last little treat to hold on to summer and then looking at a new year with a fresh attitude.

Maybe this ice cream tradition is where my love and absolute weakness (ask Brennan and my family) was started.  At a young age with a treat that meant time together holding on to that list bit of summer.  While getting excited for the new year to come. Though I really think my love of ice cream comes from my dad who also loves it!  I spent many a nights scooping for just the two of us!

No matter tonight ends a long standing tradition. The Vessey's have gotten ice cream the night before school starts since I started Kindergarten and I am 25.  So you can see it has been going for some time.  Other family and friends have been lucky enough to join the once a year celebration.  There was a year the tradition went on without my parents due to dad being in the hospital.  But it has always been a tradition! 

When I was younger and we lived on Hastings street we would walk to the end of the street to TCBY (yes we have them on the west coast).  It was always an enjoyable adventure with a tasty treat coming.  We have always sat on the same wall enjoying our treat and talking.

There are always two questions that are asked.
1.  What was the best part of your summer?
2.  What are you most looking forward to this year?

We would all have different answers and it would almost always lead into laughing and talking about the awesome summer we had. 

Even once we moved across town the tradition continued.  For about two years we would park in front of our old house and walk down the street. Then a few years we just drove straight to TCBY and maybe a trip down memory lane by driving by the old house and pointing out the changes.  In the last few years we may have even had a year or two when we went to Cold stones.  

I am sad to say that I have missed a few here and there.  We did move tradition a few years to make so that we could all be there together even if that meant school for some of us was later.  College has a way of changing things.  However I am sad that I will miss tonight's Ice Cream treat.  It is the last time my parents will make the trip to ice cream with one of my siblings still living at home. KK is going to be a senior tomorrow.  I am sure my parents are wondering where the time went. I mean we started it a day before I started Kindergarten. 

I am sure I will get a text and call.  My mom will even send a picture of them eating there ice cream.  And I will have a scoop or two in tradition.  What I do know is that the tradition will not stop.  We will probably do it till Sean and KK both finish college. I mean why stop something so special.  Even once we are all through school if my parents are still working (for there sake I hope they are retired) I hope we continue going the night before school starts for them.  I mean they are teachers- they deserve a treat to end there summer! So maybe we will carry the tradition for my parents. I look forward to starting it up with my own family (in about 10 years!).  I am sure other families have there traditions and this is one of my favorites. 

Best wishes to everyone starting another school year! Enjoy every second cause they go to fast.  Proud of you Sean and KK enjoy your senior year.  Brooke enjoy your first year not in school. Mom and Dad thanks for all the memories..

Mom to answer your question:
1.  The best part of my summer has been the time spent when we are all together. I look forward to going to St. Louis in two week and then to Seattle for the Aztec game with the best family in the world.
2. I am most looking forward to planning my wedding! I mean who wouldn't when you are marrying your best friend and the man of your dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment