Thursday, May 24, 2012

ITU Olympic Distance Race

After over 5 months of training I competed in my second Olympic Distance Triathlon.  Just like my first race I really enjoyed it!  Well I did not enjoy the extremely difficult hill that I had to climb twice or some of the early mornings I got in my training. But in general it kept me on track and gave me a goal.

I raced in the ITU World Triathlon San Diego.  The ITU series takes place all over the world.  Since San Diego is the birthplace of triathlon they also had an age group race- that is what I participated in.  Usually it is just a race series for professional triathletes only. This specific race in San Diego would decide who will be representing the United States of America in London. The first American female & male would be punching there ticket to the 2012 Olympics. This alone made being a spectator & participant of the event even more exciting. However I was disappointed as an age grouper because they marketed the event basically as being able to race like a pro for a day. However at the last minute they changed the course for the age groupers to be completely different than the professionals. Our race was swum in a different cove within Mission Bay. My bike course was a two loop course climbing Mt. Soledad twice-the pro’s had an 8 loop course that was extremely flat. Then my run was a two loop course the hugged the bay and bike bath. The professionals ran I believe 3 laps of a different course. The only thing the same was the distances and even that is up for debate.  The ITU race is draft legal and was one of the reasons the professional race was designed the way it was. I am sure it was also due to help engage the spectators. I have to say I did enjoy watching the professionals- it was awesome.
Back to my race: Since my company PEAR Sports was working the Expo for the race I had been around the event since set up. It made it a bit more real talking with potential customers about the race since I was also racing. I checked in Friday afternoon- got my bib and all the other stickers required. Over the course of the previous few days I had closely watched my diet (thanks to Brennan’s help) in order to make sure that I raced to the best of my ability. Once I checked in I was required to check my bike into transition. After doing that I was able to see the pro women’s race go off. I was most interested in the swim portion and then got to see a good amount of the bike race.  Then I relieved my co-worker at the booth. Once the race ended I headed home early and hopefully get some sleep before my big day.

Saturday would start early like all race mornings due. Brennan & I would be on our way around 4:15. On the way I eat my breakfast and started getting a little liquid in my body. Once arriving I headed to set up transition. Since I am still new to this triathlon thing I am constantly learning- mostly through trial & error. Let's be honest I mostly just ask Brennan. I at one point had to text him a question because I was to embarrassed to yell- since he was not allowed within the transition area.  I watched the look on his face when he received my text it was the look like you are kidding Jamie. I was dead serious- the answer was yes. Once I was all set up in transition it was all about waiting. I suck at waiting. I get nervous and I am the person that goes to the bathroom a lot in that time period.

Finally it was time to get into the wet suit. While I was climbing in our good friend Blair arrived. I was excited for Blair to come because she is a great athlete who I have done some training with and most importantly is an amazing photographer. Wth Blair at my race I was going to get awesome photos. All the photos in this blog are from her. A huge THANK YOU Blair. Once into my wet suit I decided to take a quick dip into the bay for a warm up swim and attempt to get comfortable in my wet suit. As a person that has swam my whole life a wet suit is kind of a pain in the butt. I realize it keeps me warm and helps you float- but it makes my shoulders so tight. My hope was warming up would loosen my shoulders. I did a quick swim and headed back in.
Getting ready
Getting into my annoying wet suit

As my wave started to form behind the start line I could see Blair and Brennan getting ready with all there camera’s. Also giving me the look like what the heck are you doing having women start in front of you. These women were just so pushy that I was over fighting. I was in the third row of woman. Once the gun went off I was a bit startled these women just took off. Once over my shock I headed for the water at a dead sprint- I learned very quickly these women should not be in front of me. Doing a bit of maneuvering I was soon out in the front of the group with only one female in front of me.  I was in wave 6 meaning there was 5 waves of racers who entered the water before me all 5 minutes apart. I knew this could cause some issue as I got farther into the 1,500 meters. I soon reached green caps, then white caps, then purple caps and then colored caps of waves I never saw leave the beach. I was ecstatic with how I sighted. I had awesome lines to every buoy never going off path. My shoulders were still a bit tight through it but I knew I was doing pretty well. As I rounded the last buoy I hit a great line straight to the finish. Getting out of the water second overall in my wave and with a time of 22 minutes 14 seconds.
 I just love my facial expression in these two
As I ran up toward the transition area I saw Brennan and Blair. I was a bit disoriented and attempting to get my wetsuit off while running through the sand. Once into transition I got out of my wet suit and was attempting to move as quickly as possible. Getting everything on it is difficult when your wet and feet are sandy. I do not enjoy dripping and hate having sandy feet. When your heart is racing it is really difficult to get undressed and re-dressed. I finally seemed all good to go & started running out of transition. It was a huge transition area and I seemed to run forever. Finally to the mount line I was able to get onto my bike. Transition time of 3 minutes 1 second.
I was clipped in and headed down the course as fast as I could go. It is very common to struggle the first few miles on the bike. I was no different- thinking this could be a long day. Once getting into the course I seemed to be moving quickly (well for me) then I was there.  Right at the base of the hill.  I attempted to remember all Brennan had told me.  I was moving uphill just slowly. I was not being passed by to many. With the hill being so step some people were walking their bikes. I debated it but knew that I would be to embarrassed. Also there was no way on this hill I would ever be able to get unclipped. I just kept pedaling. With about 1K to go in the hill there was a DJ who kept announcing you have 1K to go with an 18% grade welcome to La Jolla. I honestly was surprised no one ended up screaming at this DJ. Once at the top of the hill my only hope was then you get to go down. I am not much of a dare devil as am sure many of you already know. But I was racing so I let loose and bent down and at one point was going 39 miles on hour.  Yea that was on my bike. A few turns later and I was making the u-turn to go up again. Not the most exciting part of the day. Good news is I knew what was a head of me. I buckled down and got up the hill again. The second time I actually found it easier.  I then pushed it hard to get back to transition.  At one point cruising down the main drive in Pacific Beach (slight downhill) a car driving in the lane next to me- I asked the driver how fast he was going. He said 25 mph I replied wow I am going so fast and peddled some more and looked to get my speed up even more- leaving that car in the dust.  Coming over the second last bridge toward transition I saw Brennan and Blair waiting for me. I attempted to wave and yell hoping they would see me. No luck. I was quickly upon them and they were not ready for me. I gave a good laugh and worked hard to get off the bike.  Finished my 24 miles on the bike in 1 hour 37 minutes 54 seconds.
Once in transition my goal was to be quick.  Again easier said than done. Plus my feet were still sandy- this would cause some friction during the run. I got my bike racked, shoes off, running shoes on, helmet off, hat on and I was off.  Running toward transition I was on my way in just under 2 minutes. Just wanting to have a great run.The run would start and my first thought was wow my legs hurt- this is going to suck.  Then I reached the first mile and my watch beeped reading an 8:30 mile.  This was well below my goal time. I would keep a pace that was comfortable for me my second mile would be 8:33. I was shocked- seemed my run training was really paying off in this race. Mile 3 would be no different 8:31. I could hardly believe it- I was uncomfortable but not in pain. I decided I would attempt to negative split since I still felt so good and really go for it. I mean I only had three miles to go.  I tried to pick up my cadence and push it.  The last three miles were also not exceptionally uncomfortable though the bottom of my feet were burning. Remember that sand- heat and some friction. My feet were killing me. I would again run the second loop of the on the bike path toward the finish line. I was so excited when Mile 4-8:32 , Mile 5-8:20 and Mile 6-8:01 were faster than my first half. Showing that my running has really gotten better. Again I think my pace was quicker than expected because Brennan and Blair seemed surprised to see me. As I came around the last corner toward the finish line we would finish on the same blue carpet as the professionals. The moment I stepped on the carpet it started moving under me. When you’re legs are that tired and the ground gives you have some trouble. I did my best to stabilize myself and finished the race. With what I think was a smile.
Once through the finish shoot I headed to find Brennan and Blair. Not easy to do when the place is packed.  I finally found them.  I was excited because I had beaten my goal of going under 3 hours.  I went 2 hours 56 minutes and 45 seconds. Once finding Brennan and Blair we started talking about the race and I wanted to change shoes. Turns out Brennan lost my sandals. We have a tendency to lose things at races. So I was stuck in my racing shoes. After a few pictures we headed toward transition to collect my things. After collecting my things and I had changed into some dry clothes. We headed to the car to put it all away then eat. You would be shocked how much food you can consume after racing. After eating we headed back toward the expo to wait for the men’s professionals to race.
Check out my race from the video Brennan took
The men’s pro race was exciting to see. There were some big names racing. The swim was intense all athletes staying in a tight pack and there two swim course loop caused a ton of excitement when one man took an amazing line through the shallow water to cause a furry and everyone to follow. Then they were on the bike. Being draft legal made every lap so cool to see the leader was always changing and groups were working together. Once onto the run it got exciting especially for the American’s. The first American male would qualify as long as he was in the top 9. But if a second American got into the top 9 he would also get a spot at the Olympics. After the first loop no Americans were in the top 9. The second time around 1 American was in the top 9.  The second American was gaining rapidly. It would come down to the wire. It was amazing to see. The 2nd American would get 9th. They would then do a victory lap together with the American flag. I can only imagine the excitement they were feeling to have qualified on American soil.

The American's celebrating together
All in all it was a great few days at the ITU Race. I enjoyed watching the professionals and found that I still enjoy competing and racing. Plus I still have so much room for improvement that racing will only become more fun. Yes the training can be annoying but with the support of Brennan our families and great friends like Blair. It is something I look to continue. Because there is nothing like a little sea weed in your face, wind in your hair and sand in your shoes.
As always thanks Brennan for putting up with me, going, and being so supportive. I love you!
Another big thank you to Blair for taking all these great photos: More Pictures of me!!! Pictures of the Men's Professional Race.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment