Thursday, April 26, 2012

TOUR De Cure

Last weekend I had the privileged of riding in the Tour De Cure San Diego as a part of the team "Mile 23".  This ride is to support the America Diabetes Association.  As I am sure you are all aware diabetes is a part of my life these days and because of it I have met some amazing people.  Last Saturday was no different I rode in the 30 miler and Brennan rode in the century (100 miles). 

As a part of "Mile 23" I got to ride with my little friend Ryan.  Ryan is a part of Insulindependence (the non-profit Brennan works for & I am a part of the local committee). I swim with Ryan once a week as he is working on getting into the sport of triathlon. We also rode with two other individuals that Ryan knew.  All in our group were Type 1 diabetics AKA "Red Riders" except me. The four of us had a great time out on the route.
(Our group before heading out)

With Ryan before the race- notice my Insulindependence kit!!

The route was similar to routes that I have ridden before with Brennan. It was a fun day and exciting to be a part of something bigger.  For Ryan it was his first time ever riding on the road.  Needless to say that made me a bit nervous.  Ryan is only 13 years old which makes things a bit tricky to be a new rider that has no time behind the wheel.  However even with the nerves our group did a great job and had no issues. Well except for the fact that I actually feel at one point. I unclipped and then went to still make it up the little hill and my shoe clipped back in. I could not get unclipped in time and down I went.  Thankfully not even a scratch.
(Out on the road)

The ride was great.  We held over 13 miles an hour for the 30 miles.  I can tell my training is really paying off because I was able to climb with no issues.  Once in a while I ended up leaving our little group by pushing the pace for myself.  It was great to be able to get up and go fast, with it not really hurting like it used to. I am excited to ride this weekend to see how hard I can go and for how long.  My next race is in just over 2 weeks and that is only 24 miles.  So this 30 miler was a great little warm up.  Especially because I still get nervous around big groups of riders.

Once we crossed the finish line I waited a bit of time to see Brennan finish his century ride.  Like always he did it and got back looking like he had done little more than ride through the parking lot.  I think his training is coming along great for his Ironman in November. In all we both had a great day out riding- as well as being a part of a great cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment