Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Band Wagon Aztecs

Its a part of life with anything really.  Everyone jumps on the band wagon for the newest purse, shoes, cars, and of course sports! I have never been much of a band wagon person especially in sports. Dont get me wrong I cheer for the under dog, but I am not a fan of just jumping on any passing band wagon.  This whole band wagon has come storming in on San Diego State Athletics. Its exciting and I thank all these new fans for the support, but I think man I hope you stay a fan and dont come and go.

 As I have been associated with the program for the last six years I was a fan long before the band wagon came rolling in!  What an experience it has been once people started realizing that the program is rising and quickly.

Over my six years I have watched multiple sports rise.


Football: I have seen the transition of 4 head coaches. Multiple losing seasons and very very empty stands. Within the last 2 days came the 4th coaching change.  But before it I saw the team go 9-4!! Get into a bowl and win after 69 years!! The Poinsettia Bowl drew extremely high attendance and changed the way people feel about Aztec Football


Women's Basketball: My Freshman year the team had just re-hired Beth Burns and they were looking to rebuild the program. That first year they didnt win a game..  In 2009, I watched the team be Co-Champions of the MWC & go undefeated at home, knocking off Texas (who was ranked 4th at the time).  In 2009 SDSU hosted the 1st and 2nd round of the Women's NCAA Basketball Regional. In the 1st round of the NCAA tournament the team pulled an upset. They then lost to Stanford in the 2nd round. The next year in 2010 they once again had a great season they won the Conference tournament to become Conference Champions.  They went on to play in the Sweet 16!!!

Men's Basketball: The team was always good. I have watched them win numerous MWC Championships.  A few NCAA births, and a darn good run in the NIT! This year however is a totally different game they are ranked 6th in the country. Undefeated at 17-0 only 4 other teams in the country have that kind of record. The games are selling out and it has been crazy here on the Mesa.


Waterpolo: The team has always been ranked in the Top 10.  That was part of the reason I chose to play at San Diego State.  My Sophomore year we had a good season.  Lost some close games but when the selection show came on the television it was our team that got the final slot in the tournament.  We went on to finish in the Final 4.  Sophomore year we had another good season, however in the NCAA tournament we lost in the first round.  Still back to back appearances coming out of our conference was a  great accomplishment


Swimming: This program got on the up and up my Junior year with the department bringing in a new coach.  I spent five minutes with him and joined the team. Since then it has been nothing but climbing the conference ranking from the absolute bottom as we smash school and conference records. We had our 2009-2010 recruiting class ranked 4th nationally.  This season we are undefeated and bearing down on our first MWC Conference Championship and we have a national ranking of 23rd.

Softball: I have watched them take some MWC Championships and some games in the NCAA Tournament.

Baseball: I witnessed the team make it into the NCAA tournament. I saw the year of Stephen Strasburg and Addison Reed. Was at the game he threw a no hitter.


I personally think in my last six years there are a lot of reasons people should have joined the Aztec band wagon.  I mean I probably did not mention a ton of other amazing achievements. Like the Women's Soccer team winning a MWC Championship taking down BYU!! So the band wagon has stopped on campus and I hope it spreads from the big sports down to the rest of the department.  Cause San Diego State is on the rise!!! We are not just hot today, we are planning to stay hot!! So our new band wagon fans thank-you for joining and keep coming out to campus wearing your red and black!!

GO Aztecs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment